October 22, 2018
Welcome to RA Selection for the 2019-2020 school year.
Being a Resident Assistant is one of the most valuable experiences available to today’s college student. This position teaches numerous skills that provide students with invaluable learning opportunities far beyond their time serving in this role. The RA role is a great first step to building the skills needed to be successful in your professional career while in and after college, we hope you are excited to join our team!
You have reached the application site to apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA). Later on in the process you will also be able to apply for two additional positions, an RA for a specific Living Learning Community as well as an RA for the UI REACH [Realizing Educational and Career Hopes] program. The UI REACH RA works with students with learning and cognitive disabilities.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
· Must be in good conduct standing with the University.
· Must be current University of Iowa full-time student. Must be enrolled in at least 12 credits during the fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters.
· Must have one year of on-campus living experience either at Iowa or another institution at time of employment.
· At the time of application have an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5.
· Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 each semester during the term of employment.
o For each semester of employment, RAs must achieve a minimum of 2.0 semester GPA, and pass 70% of all credits attempted each semester.
· Employment is for an entire academic year, single semester employment (due to study abroad, early graduation, etc.) is not available.
· If hired as a RA or accepted as an alternate, you must enroll, attend, successfully complete, and pass an introductory RA Class (Issues in College Residence Halls: 415:001). The course meets one day a week for eight weeks for two hours for an optional one credit hour.
· Attend mandatory pre-fall training (August 7 – 16, 2019), and winter training (January 16-17, 2020).
· Must be available to work during Opening Week and On Iowa! (August 12 – 19 2018).
· May not hold other paid employment during first academic year term of RA appointment, and in subsequent years only with supervisor approval and less than 10 hours.
· Your financial aid package can be affected if hired as a RA, and it is your responsibility to contact the office of Financial Aid to learn how your financial aid may be impacted.
· Must successfully complete a criminal background check.
A quick overview of the application and timeline process:
· Applications will be due by 12pm on Friday, November 30th.
o Applications include: Demographic information, a resume, and a response to an essay question
· Candidates will need to attend a mandatory information session between December 2 – December 6th. You will sign up online for which session you will be attending.
· Candidates that wish to apply to be an LLC RA or UI REACH RA will need to complete that application between December 2 – January 7.
· Conduct and GPA checks will be completed over winter break after Fall 2018 grades are due
· Interview invites will go out to candidates around January 7
· Interviews will take place January 16 – January 23, candidates will sign up online for an interview
· Offers for RA positions will be emailed out on February 22nd.
The Resident Assistant position receives a salary of $5,000.00 pro-rated over a 10 month employment period. Other benefits include the experience you will gain while interacting with students and staff in your residence hall community, as well as an optional one credit hour from the RA course. As a condition of employment as a Resident Assistant you will be provided a single room or apartment, a full meal plan, and $100 Hawk Dollars a semester during the 2019-2020 academic year appointment.
If you have any questions, please contact us at the Office of Residence Education, 260 Stanley Hall, 319-335-3700. The RA Selection committee looks forward to meeting you. Good Luck!
The RA Selection Committee